02 August 2012

Novel Writing Process

From the outset, it looked easy.  I had the story in mind... all I had to do was write it... in chronological order... and I was done.  Right?
I've had a wake up call since then.... it's not quite so easy.  In the first place, it doesn't always come together chronologically, and even if it does, different scenes expand it and cause it to grow and change.  One change can change everything else, and that starts getting complicated after you have a hundred pages or so....
So where am I now?  The body of the story is there, but I am still expanding, plugging in new scenes, filling in holes, proofing, changing.  The hardest part has been the beginning-- the prologue and first chapter.  I have spent more time on those two parts than the rest of the story put together.  It keeps weighing on me, because so much depends on it.  Strangers who read it will either decide to continue, or not, based on it.
I have it all planned out so beautifully in my head... how story and plotlines and characters develop and interract and change based on those interractions.... but transferring what I have in my head to paper in such a way that my readers will see it as I saw/see it, that's the hard part.
Anyhow.... it's proving a much more daunting task than I ever thought it would be.... but progress is being made.
And now... back to it.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment