03 October 2017

Rich Mullins: The Lonely Sailor

I recently discovered a lesser known song recorded by Rich Mullins called “Ready for the Storm.”  The song has a lot of repeating riffs, yet it still feels complex.  I love the arrangement.  I guess Rich Mullins was not the writer, and this was originally a “secular” song.  But Rich Mullins said at the last concert where he sang this, “I think it’s impossible for a song to be secular.  Nothing is more Godly about people than our ability to make music...”  That was just how Rich thought.  He took some of the thoughts that were prevalent in mainstream Christianity (such as the sacred-secular divide) and turned them on their ear.  When I look at what he said, though, I think he got it pretty right.  

“The waves roll in the tide rolls out
It’s an angry sea but there is no doubt
The lighthouse will keep shining out
To warn a lonely sailor…”


Two of Rich Mullin’s key albums are simply titled “Songs” and “Songs 2”.  The stark simplicity of the titles amply fit the man.  The last album Rich Mullins was preparing to record before his death contained ten songs about the life of Jesus.  It would later come to be called “The Jesus Album.”  Rich went to a little abandoned church with a cheap cassette recorder, and on a piano there he played and sang the ten songs he planned to use for the Jesus album.  He did this on September 10, 1997.


“And the lightening strikes
And the wind cuts cold
Through the sailor’s bones
Through the sailor’s soul…”


Nine days after this, on September 19, 1997, Rich Mullins was driving to a benefit concert with a friend.  Shortly thereafter the world was shocked to hear the vehicle they were driving spun out of control.  Rich’s friend suffered severe injuries, but would ultimately recover; Rich Mullins never made it out.  He passed from this life at age 42 - much too soon.  


“Oh I am ready for the storm,
Yes sir ready
I am ready for the storm
I’m ready for the storm…”


I was first exposed to the music of Rich Mullins through the influence of my oldest brother.  I was always struck by it.  There was something about Mullin’s music that seemed different, though I couldn’t put my finger on the reason at the time.  As I grew older I began to learn more about Rich Mullin’s life.  To my surprise, I found out that Rich Mullins tended to live a very simple life.  He spent the last several years of his life living in a hogan on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico.  At one point he would say, “Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world… Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved and Jesus loved the poor and Jesus loved the broken-hearted.”    


“Oh give me mercy for my dreams
‘Cause every confrontation seems to tell me
What it really means
To be this lonely sailor…”


Rich Mullins was, by his own admission, a loner.  The term he used was ‘ragamuffin.’  He had some difficulties in his life - a tough relationship with his father, a broken engagement - and he wrestled a lot with his own weakness and sin.  Those who knew him often spoke of his genuineness, the simplicity of the life he lead, and the trouble he had with the American evangelical church.  The reason I resonate with Rich Mullins so much is that I have many of those same problems.  The Jesus I see in the Bible was hard for me to find in the American church.  Hard, but not impossible.     


“And when the sky begins to clear
The sun it melts away my fear
And I shed a silent weary tear
For those who mean to love me…”


One of my favorite quotes from Rich Mullins comes from a talk he gave at Wheaton College, just five short months before his death.  He is talking about the story of the rich young ruler found in the gospel of Mark.  He mentions how this guy was a student and probably a politician, and no doubt he wanted to ask this impressive question.  But instead he asks the most repeated question in all the gospels, “what must I do to have eternal life?”  The ironic thing is that Jesus had just gotten through answering this.  Rich goes on to say, “[Mark] says that Jesus looked at the man… even though we’re so arrogant that we don’t even listen to God, God is so humble that he looks at us.  That he takes note of us.  He’s not impressed by our questions and by our answers.  But he’s quite taken with us… maybe, it’s more important that we know Jesus, than anything else in the world.”  


“The distance is no real friend
And time will take its time
And you will find that in the end
It brings you me…”


I don’t think a person ever quite gets over a death like Rich Mullin’s.  So sudden, shocking, and unexpected.  At the age of 42, there is great sorrow for the years we wish Rich could have had.  But it only took him 42 years to leave behind a full legacy.  His legacy of songs, words, and most importantly, of a life that was sold out for God.  Rich said that Jesus is quite taken with us… but Rich was also quite taken with Jesus, and his life imitated the simplicity of the Savior he loved so much.  


“And when you take me by the hand
And you love me, Lord, you love me
And I should have realized
I have no reason to be frightened…”


Rich Mullins was ready for the storm, even though the storm was swift and unexpected.  And now he is safely on the other side, enjoying eternal sunshine in the presence of his Savior.  In a life that is never guaranteed for any of us, I hope my legacy is as full when it is my time to go.  I find myself challenged by many of the words of Rich Mullins.  Challenged to seek Jesus in simplicity.  And then to take what I learn and reach out to those around me, always looking for and finding Jesus in the unexpected places.  Because the kingdom of heaven is different from anything we would expect… and that is a secret Rich Mullins learned well.  


“Oh I am ready for the storm
Yes sir, ready
I am ready for the storm
Yes sir, ready…”


After Rich Mullins’ death, the tape of songs for the “Jesus” record was discovered.  A group of artists who called themselves “The Ragamuffin Band” went forward with the project, producing “The Jesus Album” which included all ten of the original songs Rich had wanted, plus one more.  The record includes two CD’s, one with The Ragamuffin Band’s recordings of the songs, and a CD that includes the original recordings Rich made at that abandoned church.  My favorite song on “The Jesus Album” is called “That Where I am There You May Also Be.”  On it they took the recording Rich made of this song, and digitally dubbed his voice in with Michael W. Smith to produce the final song.  The last lines of the song go, “In the world you will have trouble, but I leave you my peace, that where I am there you may also be…”
Death was not the final word for Rich Mullins.  
Jesus was.

No comments:

Post a Comment