06 June 2016

Busy

Life is busy.


What my living room typically looks like
after the little guy goes to sleep.
As the mother of a (very active and mischievous) toddler, the majority of my days are spent taking care of him, chasing after him, and cleaning up his messes.  Usually after he goes down for a nap or after he goes to bed I just have to sit for a little while and look at the chaos all around me and wonder how one small person could have caused it all.  Then I will get up and clean up his mess one more time.  But as I put away his toys and his shoes I remember the sweet little boy who loves to share them, with his adorable smile, his kisses, and this cute ways.  It makes it all worth it.  


The truth is, I love my life.  


This is the cutie I get to spend
my days with!
I am doing what I always wanted to do: I stay at home and take care of the house, I can focus full time on raising our child, and I live with some other great people to boot which helps ward off the loneliness during James’ long hours at school.  


But it can be overwhelming.  


I look at the pile of books I can’t wait to read which I am (very slowly) working my way through.  I put the baby down for a nap and, ignoring the pile of dirty dishes which desperately need to be washed I instead set up my laptop and grab a cup of coffee, answering the creative itch which I have been feeling all day.  


I think back on days where I had hours to devote to reading or watching my favorite show.  


Countless minutes to waste in any way that I wish.  I do not wish for those days back, for in spite of the busyness of my life, my time is much more profitably spent now because it has become far more precious.  Moments when I can sit down and write, uninterrupted, are much harder to find than they were before.  Dishes can be done when the baby is awake; now, I write, the words flowing out as I answer the creative urge deep within me.  Sitting in the messy kitchen, earbuds in, computer open, coffee at hand.

Life is busy.  But I am blessed.  

As a moment of quiet descends, I take it to sit back amidst the chaos and simply be thankful.  Thankful for a little time to work on my creative projects, but more thankful still for the living epistle that is being written on the pages of my son’s life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment